One of the staples in my daily makeup look is a medium-thick jet black black liner. I line my eyes on the top lashes from the inner corner to the outer, sometimes with a small wing.
After hearing all the hype about the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, I caved and decided to try it out.
“A liquid eyeliner with an innovative brush tip for effortless, precise application. Achieve eye perfection with this high-pigment, waterproof liner that stays put all day for a fade-, melt-, crack-, and run-resistant finish. The superfine and flexible brush tip glides across the lashline for incredibly fluid application, allowing you to create a variety of looks with ease. Unlike traditional felt tip liners, this brush tip will not fray.” (sephora.com)
My Pros & Cons
What’s great about this product?
- It’s easy to apply.
- The thin tip creates a precise line and perfect cateye wing.
- It’s a true jet black colour.
- The formula is very opaque so you only need one coat
- It’s long wearing. I fell a sleep with it once and when I woke up it was still almost perfect.
What could be improved?
- There is a plastic-y / sheen finish. As it was called “tattoo” I expected it to be more matte and natural looking (which I prefer).
- If you push too hard with the tip, the product may bleed a bit…especially in the inner corner of my inner corner
- One or twice I noticed that the bottom part of my winged liner flaked off.
- Once the product has dried it feels a little stiff on the eyelid (when I blink, I can sometime feel a little tug)
Would I buy it again?
Would I recommend it to other? Yes! Would I buy it again? No. Overall, it’s a wonderful product, I just prefer a matte finish.
Here’s the list of my favourite matte eyeliners:
- MAC Eyeshadow in Carbon • $16
- Eyeko – + Alexa Chung Eye Do Liquid Eyeliner – Carbon Black • $20
- Eyeko – Fat Liquid Eyeliner – Black • $18
- Nyx Cosmetics Matte Liquid Liner • $6.99
What are your favourite eyeliners? Have you tried the Kat Von D Tatoo Liner? If so, what do you think?
(For full disclosure, please note that a couple of the links are shopstyle affiliate links. There are many retailers I could have linked for info on the same products, so I figured why not link ones that reward me for selecting them so I can buy more products to review for you! I want to re-assure you that the featured products were not selected on that basis. )