I’m back!!! I haven’t forgotten about all you fabulous ladies, I promise. Unfortunately, I let life (or should I said “busyness”) get in the way of doing something that I love…but not any longer!
Now on to the review and swatches….
Although I haven’t been blogging, over the past year, I have started following many beauty bloggers/vloggers and have discovered several new brands, products, and applications that I’m excited to share with you. One of my new favorite brands is Colourpop, so I decided to write my first blog in 2016 about their Ultra Matte liquid lipsticks.
I’ll admit it, I am not a lip product expert. In fact, for years I never wore lipstick at all. After going through many hideous lip trends as a teenager and in my early 20’s (frosted lips, dark brown lips, glitter gloss…), I decided to stop wearing lipstick…excluding special occasions, of course. Forgetting to reapply after every hour or two meant that I spent more time with an awkward lipstick outline then with perfectly coloured lips (not to mention the annoyance of inner lip guck buildup – ick!). So, decided it wasn’t worth the fuss and became the girl with the meticulous eye makeup but naked lips (ie. an incomplete look but it seemed to work for me).
Then, last year, I started noticing many youtube videos pop up (pun intended!) about ColourPop’s new Ultra Matte liquid lipsticks. The website and reviews all stated that the products were easy to apply, non-transferable (ie. kiss proof), and lasted all day – so, I had to try it out!
I ordered a couple colours, and then a few more…and then a few more. I bought 9 in total (I would have bought more but that’s all my budget would allow…especially with the CDN $) They absolutely met my expectations!
Before I get into the pros, cons, and swatches, I should say – if you have dry lips or don’t like the look of matte lips, this formula is not for you. When I apply the product, I feel like I’m literally painting my lips as the liquid is thin and shiny and dries down extremely matte like paint. I personally prefer the satin / slightly shiny lip look, but until someone discovers a long lasting / smudge proof satin lipstick – matte will have to do (Note: – ColourPop is launching Ultra Satin Lips on February 18, 2016. I’ve heard they are long lasting but not smudge proof. Stay tuned for a future review…).
ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips Pros:
- Great selection of vibrant colours
- Lasts all day long (unless you eat oily food 😉 )
- Absolutely kiss proof / smudge proof / non-transferable
- Easy to apply / only one coat needed
- No lip liner needed
- Only $6 US each (+shipping)
ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip Cons:
- Some colours show the cracks in your lips…especially the lighter ones
(Note: I normally prime my lips with a lip balm prior to application to help with this)
- All the colours make a statement (even the nudes)…so, depending on your career and lifestyle, these may not be ideal for everyday wear
- If you mess up the first coat, you need to wipe it off and start again (a second coat applies patchy and cakey)
- They are difficult to remove..that’s probably why they last so long :p
(Note: I use an oil based makeup remover or coconut oil)
- Poor quality packaging – the company logo and silver details have starting rubbing off. (it doesn’t effect the lipstick, but worth mentioning)
- You can only purchase these online, so you can’t test the colours before purchasing
Here are the swatches of the colours that I purchased with links to product pages. (Note: I did adjust the lighting on one or two of the images purely to get the closest true colour representation as possible).
(neutral nude pink)
(warm mid-tone taupe)
Colour: Bad Habit
(dusty mauve pink)
(dusty mauve burgundy)
(dusty warm terracotta)
(neon orange red)
(deep yellow red)
Click here for more Ultra Matte Lip swatches (I bought 2 more after posting this).
That’s it from me…now, I’d love to hear from you! What fabulous liquid lipsticks have you tried? Any suggestions of other long wearing and smudge proof lipsticks that I should try out?